The rise in popularity of Black Friday and Cyber Monday in the UK have contributed to sales growth during November as well as the expected month of December over recent years, with people using these two key days to prepare for Christmas.
With only around 8% of people still doing their Christmas shopping the week before Christmas, we all want to ensure we’re picking up a bargain!
Black Friday Shopping Stats – You Can’t Argue With Them!
A consumer study in November 2017 by PricewaterhouseCoopers found that just over 50% of consumers show an interest in Black Friday sales and either intend to spend or could be persuaded to if the price was right for them. This rose to 70% of under 25-year-olds and a third of under 35’s plan to definitely buy something.
In 2017, men spent an average of £225 on Black Friday, a rise of 33% on 2016 figures, whilst women spent an average of £172. Total sales made on Black Friday 2017 came in at a staggering £1.2 billion!
Shop Local – Supporting Your Community
Another big day for shopping is Small Business Saturday – the first Saturday in December. This encourages consumers to ‘shop local’ and support small businesses in their local community. This day in 2017 saw a spend of £717 million – an increase of 15% on 2015.
Christmas Spending UK Breakdown… How Much?!
The UK has the second highest spending market in Europe. A report by the Office of National Statistics found that the average person will spend around £820 on Christmas. This includes decorations and Christmas travel. With advertising for Christmas seeming to start earlier, get your business noticed before the mad rush!
According to Experian, the average person spends around £400 purely on Christmas gifts, treating around 10 people. Coventry was found to be near the top of the biggest spenders, with an average of £459 per person. Nottingham was lower down, spending a still-respectable £305 each.
Statista confirmed that 45% not setting a budget for their spending. 44% of adults plan to spend the majority of their budget on children.
The Bank of England reported that an average household spends around £2000 each month. However, they noted an extra £500 is spent in December for the festivities. They reported an 80% increase in spending money on books, 20% on food and 30% on alcohol. Don’t worry; we’re not here to judge..!
Online or In-Store?
62% of people research their gifts online before going into a store. Crucially, the same number indicated that they plan to do at least some, if not all, of their Christmas shopping in-store.
Five Reasons to Advertise for Christmas Now
1) Bobatoo found that a (very keen!) 13% of people starting their Christmas shopping as early as July to September. The bulk of us are reported to start in October and November
2) Adverta has a 6-8 week lead time on bus and tram advertising campaigns. There is literally NO better time to sign up for your Christmas advertising!
3) If you were to take a 6-month advertising campaign out with us to start in November, it would cover key dates in the retail calendar. These include Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Christmas ’18, New Year sales, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day AND Easter 2019! Depending on what sector you’re in, you could have an interchangeable section of your advert to align with each of these. Clever marketing, eh?
4) Take out a 12-month campaign and you cover right through to Christmas 2019 too
5) 30 million people have seen bus advertising in the last week. That’s YOUR target audience right there!
Why Choose Adverta for your Christmas Advertising?
Over the years, our team of dedicated professionals have helped thousands of businesses with their transport advertising needs.
We absolutely LOVE what we do and take pride in offering a personal service and helping you create inspirational, visually stunning adverts which can travel around your area, or further, up to seven days a week.
We help you identify which are the best products that meet your needs, organising your advertising campaign from start to finish.
Our expert in-house design and production teams are included in our fully inclusive and affordable packages.
If you want to find out more about cost-effective, bespoke bus advertising packages, contact us today for a free, no-obligation quote.